• Post Office
• Charge Accounts, Credit Cards
• Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks
• Friends and Relatives
• Arrange credit references
• Notify company of new location for coverage’s: Life, Health, Fire & Auto
• Gas, light, water, telephone, fuel
• Obtain refunds on any deposits made
Medical, Dental, Prescriptions Histories
• Ask Doctor & Dentist for referrals
• Transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays
• Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
And Don’t Forget To
• Empty Freezer
• Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator. Place charcoal to dispel odors.
• Have appliances serviced for moving
• Clean rugs and/or clothing before moving
• Arrange to have items wrapped for moving
• Check with your Moving Counselor: Insurance coverage, packing & unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
• Plan for special care needs of infants
On Moving Day
• Carry jewelry and documents yourself, or use registered mail.
At Your New Address
• Plan for transporting pets; they are poor traveling companions if unhappy.
• Double check closets, drawers & shelves to be sure they are empty.
• Leave old keys needed by new tenants or owner with Realtor or neighbor.
• Check on service of telephones, gas, electricity & water.
• Check pilot light on stove, water heater, incinerator & furnace.
• Have new address recorded on driver’s license.
• Register children in school.
• Arrange for medical services: Doctor, Dentist, etc.
If You are Moving into the Area
• Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city
• Carry enough cash or traveler’s checks to cover costs of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in the new city.
• Register care within 5 days after arrival in state or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new license plates.
• Apply for state driver’s license.